Monday, March 09, 2009

March 9, 2009. So March has been strange! The month started with the heaviest snowfall we've seen all winter--around 7.5 inches here in Central Howard County. Other parts of the state ended up with over a foot. It was immediately followed by two days of bitter cold temps and then voila! The temps made an about face and headed north and by the end of the week the snow was gone and the temps were in the 70s. Perfect for a little early season fishing. So off we went--that is, my bud, Al, and I. We headed to Morgan Run in Carroll County. Apparently, it had been stocked with a late winter stocking. I was delighted to be back on the river and my patience paid off. Within the first few minutes I landed a nice Rainbow, and then another--both on a Woolly bugger. I moved into another area that Al had been fishing and caught two more--these two on a Bead headed Nymph with a little weight added on. After fishing that area, I went on a bit of a hike to find the next area. Morgan Run appears to be broken up between very narrow areas that provide excellent cover and then occasional pools. It was through this discovery that I found another area to wet my line and caught my fifth--again on the nymph. Unfortunately, Al didn't have as much luck. However, the time spent with an old friend is always worth it, regardless of the fishing outcome.

No comments: