Saturday, July 21, 2007

July 21, 2007. Well, it's been two days of progressively good fishing. Before I headed out I made the standard pilgrimage to Moe Henry's Trout Shop for the latest gouge. From there, I started out on the Colorado just West of Byers Canyon yesterday. Caught a small Brown Trout there on a Green Copper John. The water was high and very clear. From there, I traveled to Rocky Mountain National Park where I put in at around Mile 7 from the Southern Entrance. The water was extremely clear and stealth was the call. Caught a Brookie and a couple Browns before calling it a day.

Today, I started on the Fraser in a private access section owned by Devil's Thumb Ranch--probably the nicest Guest Ranch in the Fraser Valley. Their Activities Center is very nice and well stocked. I fished the Fraser in the morning and landed a huge Rainbow. My guess was about 4-5 pounds. While not long, it was very fat. If the pictures turn out, I'll post one here. That didn't come without it's cost. Prior to landing that one, I must have lost a dozen, including two that would have challenged the one I landed. I landed another one about 12 inches long after a good fight.

After lunch, I drove up to St. Louis Creek just shy of the Byers Creek Campground. A beautiful area, especially if you want to just get away for a little. I found a nice place to fish with lite tackle. The St. Louis meanders from the Byers Peak area and picks up speed along its journey. Occasionally, it will settle into a small pool. I found such one and started hammering the Brookies. They are, by far, the most beautiful. Though small, they were good fighters and extremely colorful. I even managed to land a Cutthroat as well. I broke the equipment down just as a typical afternoon thunderstorm reared its powerful head my way.

All-in-all, a very productive two days out in Colorado. Can't wait til I get back in September!

No comments: